I made this soup from The Modern Ayurvedic Cookbook. A great source for wholesome recipes based on the principals of Ayurvedic cooking. A sweet, rich and nutritious soup. Perfect for those cold winter nights - it’s warming qualities of cinnamon and clove are super comforting.
prep time15 min
cook time30 mintutes
inspired byThe Modern Ayurvedic Cookbook
2 tbspghee or butter
2 tbspolive oil
3/4 cuponions sliced
6 cupsyams cubed
five cupsvegetable broth
1/2 tspsalt or to taste
- In a large pot, heat ghee/butter and oil. Add onions, sauté until they start to soften.
- Add garlic. Continue sautéing until the onions are transparent.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20min.
- Check seasoning. Remove cinnamon stick, peppercorns and clove.
- Using an immersion blender, purée until smooth. Check consistency, if the soup is too thick add more water.
Top with plain yogurt and serve with a fresh slice of bread.