This ayurvedic bread is dense, yeast-free and takes no time to make. It’s the perfect bread for soups and stews. Adapted from Plantwell, I took their advice and made a cinnamon raisin version as well. Sliced with some butter, it’s a sweet nourishing afternoon snack.
Preheat your oven to 400 F
1 cuprolled oats or grounded steel cut oats
1 cupwhole wheat flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/4 tspsea salt
2 tbspmaple syrup
1/2 cupapplesauce or 1 egg
2 tbspbutter or ghee
1 cupwhole organic milk
1 tspcinnamon (optional)
3/4 cupraisins (optional)
- Food process oats.
- Combine the oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt (and cinnamon if desired).
- In another bowl, mix maple syrup, applesauce, ghee/butter and milk.
- Combine the dry and wet mixtures and stir until a soft dough is formed (and raisins if desired).
- Knead the dough into a ball or loaf shape and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or when it sounds hollow when tapped.