I wanted to make a small batch of healthy whole wheat muffins for a morning or afternoon snack. My husband who doesn’t normally indulge in baked goods, clearly stated “these muffins are great!” - most likely because I cut the sugar in half. I preheated my oven pretty high so that they would rise really big, they came out light, fluffy and full of warming spices.
Preheat your oven to 425 F
makessix large muffins
prep time15 minutes
cook time20 minutes
inspired bylauren’s latest
one cupwhole wheat flour
1/2 cupbread flour
1 1/4 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/4 tspsea salt
1/2 tspground cloves
1/2 cupbrown sugar
1/2 cuplight olive oil
1/2 cupunsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cupscarrots grated
- Line a muffin tray with 6 muffin cups.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar and remaining ingredients.
- Fold in flour mixture and mix just until combined. Batter should be real thick.
- Fill lined muffin cups nearly full. Add a bit of water to any empty tins.
- Bake for about 10 min then turn down to 350 F and bake for another 10 min. Muffins are done when pressed they spring back.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.