I love the smell this applesauce makes in my home after simmering for a couple hours on the stove. This is a modified version of my Mom’s traditional recipe, I made it really smooth with the least amount of sugar, (you could probably make it with none). I also made extra for future recipes!
serves:approximately two 16ox Jars
prep time:15 min
cook time:1.5 hours
inspired by:My Mama
elevenlarge organic fiji or macintosh apples
1/3 cupcane sugar
1 tspground cinnamon
1/2 tsppure vanilla extract
1/8 tspsea salt
1/2lemon sliced (remove seeds)
1/2 tspground nutmeg
- Core, peel and cut apples into wedges. It’s handy to have a fruit wedge cutter.
- Put apples in large pot, with remaining ingredients. Fill pot with water up to the top of the apples.
- Bring to a boil and remove lemons.
- Turn down to med-low for at least 30min to simmer.
- Take off of heat and remove cinnamon stick.
- With an immersion blender, process apples until desired consistency.
cooling and serving:
It’s a sweet treat in the winter, especially if you warm it up a bit. I guess if you preserve it in jars - it can stay fresh up to 3 weeks if kept in the fridge. How long do you keep your homemade applesauce for?